Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cooking Demo at Native Foods - Palm Desert, CA



We went to Native Foods Superbowl Cooking Demos in Palm Desert this morning. We thought the demo started at 10:30 but it actually began at 10. We got there late, however, we did get to see a couple of the courses prepared and taste samples of those dishes. It only wet our appetite so we stayed for lunch. I also bought The Native Foods Restaurant Cookbook and had Tanya, the Chef and founder, sign it for us.


My favorite for lunch is the En Cha Cha Lada Bowl. Stacked corn tortillas layered with black beans, steamed kale and saute' of tofu, mushrooms, corn and shallots. I love the enchilada sauce and guacamole! Then Gordie and I split dessert and had the Chocolate Love Pie. It's hard to believe there is no dairy products in that pie, it was that good! Yummy!

Back in the early 90's, Gordie and I were both vegans. There were hardly any restaurants around at the time that catered to vegetarians. I remember my dad took us out to lunch one day and surprised us by taking us to Native Foods in Palm Springs. We've been going to this place ever since, we're hooked! Tanya opened another restaurant in Palm Desert years later, so we've been going there for lunch and dinner (it's near us). All I can say, Native Foods has the BEST gourmet vegetarian food we ever had!

NATIVE FOODS CAFE
73-890 El Paseo
Palm Desert, CA 92260

(760) 836-9396

No comments: