Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day 2010 - Palm Springs



We went to the Palm Springs Air Museum Annual Memorial Day Flower Drop. A vintage B-25 Mitchell Bomber dropped 3,000 red and white carnations from the sky in memory of the veterans who gave their lives to protect our freedom. The above movie shows several video snippets of our day at this event.


We browsed around and looked at several vintage aircraft and displays of World War II history. Inside a vintage tent I was fascinated looking at some very old telecommunications equipment that was used back then.


While walking inside a vintage helicopter I thought of my dad, a World War II veteran, who was a Crew Chief for the P-51 Mustang and Sikorsky Helicopters.


The Palm Springs Air Museum was one of my dad's favorite place to visit when he was alive. In memory of my father we dedicated his name on the Walk of Honor.


We all anticipated and waited for the moment when the vintage B-25 Bomber dropped 3,000 carnations from the sky. The wind blew most of the flowers away in a different location. Unfortunately, we didn't get a single carnation, however, I was able to capture the moment in my video (see above movie).


We enjoyed our visit at the Palm Springs Air Museum on Memorial Day. There is so much history of World War II, that it keeps us coming back for more, even when it's not on a holiday.

No comments: